2016 Indian Motorcycle Chieftain
Followers need not apply. Built to go your own way, this hard-bagger rides a lane apart.
- Thunder Stroke® 111: The Thunder Stroke® 111 V-Twin is the powerful heart & soul, delivering 119 ft-lbs of torque, tremendous acceleration & an exhaust note from its true dual exhaust that is music to a real rider’s ears.
- Abs & Cruise Control: The Indian® Chieftain® has advanced features to optimize the ride experience. With automotive-quality ABS braking, you ride with confidence that you’ll brake under control in all situations. The cruise control is easy to set & adjust so you enjoy smooth, relaxed cruising.
- Push-Button Adjustable Windshield: The windshield atop the stylish, protective fairing can be raised or lowered electronically with the push of a handlebar-mounted button. A rider can lower the windshield to enjoy cooling airflow or raise it to block wind & rain.
- High-Output Audio: The fairing features an integrated audio system that delivers premium-quality sound from dual high-output speakers. An audio source such as a smart phone can be connected by cable or through Bluetooth® connectivity.
- Keyless Ignition: Never fumble with a key again. With the key fob in your pocket, just climb on, start it up & ride. Walk away with confidence, too. The engine will only start & run when the fob is in close proximity to the bike. Misplace the fob? Just enter your personal security code and ride on.
- Unique Steering Geometry: The Indian® Chieftain® steering geometry is engineered to deliver light, responsive handing whether this faired bike is being ridden solo with no cargo, or 2-up with full saddlebags. It delivers handling more like a sport bike than a heavyweight bagger.
- Hard Saddlebags: Riders’ cargo is protected in the convenient, spacious hard saddlebags that have lockable lids with weatherproof seals. The lids can be locked electronically using a console-mounted button - or the bike’s key fob.
- Premium Concert Saddlebag Audio Kit: Boost the volume and audio quality of your open road playlists with a set of premium speakers in your saddlebag lids. Premium Concert Audio delivers twice the power as the Standard Concert Audio, and the saddlebag lid speaker output complements audio from the fairing speakers.
- Painted Inner Fairing & Console: With a Painted Inner Fairing & Console, an Indian Chieftain looks like it just rolled out of the custom shop. They’re available in every one of our bike colors, and the original factory paint delivers a true color match along with an ideal fit.
- Thunder Stroke High Flow Air Cleaner, Chrome: The stylish, branded Chrome Thunder Stroke High Flow Air Cleaner lets the powerful Thunder Stroke V-Twin inhale more freely for enhanced throttle response. Now 50-state compliant, it’s the perfect complement to a Thunder Stroke Stage 1 Exhaust (sold separately).
- Drive/Driven Clutch: Wet, Multi-Plate
- Engine Type: Thunder Stroke® 111
- Displacement: 111 cu in / 1811 cc
- Bore x Stroke: 3.976 x 4.449" (101mm x 113mm)
- Compression Ratio: 9.5:1
- Electronic Fuel Injection System: Closed loop fuel injection / 54mm bore
- Final Drive: 2.2 : 1
- Primary Drive: Gear Drive Wet Clutch
- Peak Torque: 119.2 ft-lbs/ 138.9 N m
- Peak Torque RPM: 3000 rpm/2600 rpm
- Front Fork Tube Diameter: 46 mm
- 1st: 9.403 : 1
- 2nd: 6.411 : 1
- 3rd: 4.763 : 1
- 4th: 3.796 : 1
- 5th: 3.243 : 1
- 6th: 2.789 : 1
- Suspension: Front - Type/Travel: Telescopic Fork/4.7" (119 mm)
- Suspension: Rear - Type/Travel: Single Shock w/Air adjust/4.5" (114mm)
- Brakes/Front: Dual / 300mm Floating Rotor / 4 Piston Caliper
- Brakes/Rear: Single / 300mm Floating Rotor / 2 Piston Caliper
- Tires/Front: Dunlop® Elite 3 130/90B16 73H
- Tires/Rear: Dunlop® Elite 3 Multi-Compound 180/60R16 80H
- Wheels: Cast 16" x 3.5" Front and 16" x 5" Rear
- Exhaust System: Split dual exhaust w/ cross-over
- Wheelbase: 65.7 in / 1668 mm
- Seat Height: 26.0 in / 660 mm
- Rake/Trail: 25°
- Overall Width (in./mm.): 39.4 in / 1000 mm
- Overall Height (in./mm.): 54.6 in / 1388 mm
- Ground Clearance: 5.6 in / 142 mm
- Fuel Capacity (Litres): 5.5 gallons / 20.8 liters
- Overall Length (in./mm.): 101.2 in / 2571 mm
- Trail: 5.9 in / 150.0 mm
- GVWR: 1385 lbs / 630 kgs
- Weight (Empty tank / full of fuel): 815 lbs / 848 lbs (370 kg / 385 kg)
- Standard Equipment: ABS; Cast Aluminum Frame with Integrated Air-Box; Cruise Control; Driving Lights; Highway Bar; Keyless Start; Power Windshield; Desert Tan Genuine Leather Seats; Remote Locking Hard Saddle Bags; Tire Pressure Monitoring; 100 Watt Stereo with AM/FM Bluetooth and Smartphone Compatible Input
- Gauges: Fairing mounted instrument cluster featuring electronic speedometer, tachometer, and fuel gauge with odometer, dual tripmeters with distance and time, instantaneous and average fuel economy; fuel range; real-time clock; ambient air temperature; gear position display; front and rear tire pressure; engine hours of operation; engine oil life percentage; average speed; battery voltage; radio information display; vehicle trouble code readout; heated grip level (if heated grips installed); and 15 LED telltale indicators: cruise control enabled, cruise control set, neutral, high beam, turn signal, ABS, check engine, low tire pressure, battery, low fuel, security system, low engine oil pressure and MPH or km/h unit designation
- Engine Type
- Thunder Stroke® 111
- 111 cu in. (1811 cc)
- Bore and Stroke
- 3.976 x 4.449 in. (101mm x 113mm)
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- Closed loop fuel injection / 54mm bore
- Front Suspension
- Telescopic Fork/4.7" (119 mm)
- Rear Suspension
- Single Shock w/Air adjust/4.5" (114mm)
- Front Brakes
- Dual / 300mm Floating Rotor / 4 Piston Caliper
- Rear Brakes
- Single / 300mm Floating Rotor / 2 Piston Caliper
- Front Tire
- Dunlop® Elite 3 130/90B16 73H
- Rear Tire
- Dunlop® Elite 3 Multi-Compound 180/60R16 80H
- 65.7 in. (1668 mm)
- Seat Height
- 26.0 in. (660 mm)
- 25 deg.
- 5.9 in. (150.0 mm)
- Fuel Capacity
- 5.5 gal. (20.8 L)
- Dry Weight
- 815 lb. (370 kg)
- Gear Drive Wet Clutch
- Star Silver and Thunder Black